Smuggling is the illegal transportation of goods across international borders.
In Naval Action, it's the movement of a player of one nation entering the port of another nation, generally with the intent of buying or selling in that port so as to make a profit or to obtain goods that cannot be as readily or profitably found in the player's home nation nor in neutral or Free Ports.
Becoming a Smuggler
If you wish to enter ports of enemy nations you must:
- Be in a ship designated as a trader
- Set your smuggler flag while in one of your national ports, or in a Free Port. Setting a smuggler's flag cannot be done in a neutral or enemy port.
- On a PvE server there is no downside to flying the smuggler flag
- It's questionable as to how safe smuggling is on a PVP server as the rules seem to be in flux. Currently I understand that no AI ships of any nation will attack unless they are attacked, so the only additional foes you'll have by setting a smuggler's flag are those human players of your own nation. (in other words it's very similar to carrying Contraband Goods)
Retiring from Smuggling
To regain your status as a legitimate ship captain:
- Unset your smuggler flag while in one of your national ports, or in a Free Port. Retiring your smuggler's flag cannot be done in a neutral or enemy port.